Organized For Employee Success
The Container Store is the original storage and organization store, with retail stores throughout the US and a growing online channel. Store replenishment and direct to consumer fulfillment is done at a single, centrally located DC at the company’s headquarters in Coppell, Texas. As part of a larger warehouse systems overhaul, The Container Store installed the Lucas Mobile Work Execution Solution to help improve efficiency, safety and accuracy. Like many other companies, The Container Store decided to move to voice-directed solutions before upgrading their WMS in order to get the immediate operational advantages of voice.The company has since upgraded both their LMS and WMS, with no impact on warehouse employees working with Lucas mobile applications featuring Jennifer.
This short video created by The Container Store describes how the company selected and installed Lucas and Jennifer, including an overview of the easy voice training process.
The Picking Project
In keeping with the Container Store’s employee-first culture, warehouse employees played a key role in selecting and implementing the Lucas solution. Their early involvement, regular communications, and extensive user training resulted in a highly successful roll out across multiple picking zones. Compared to the previous RF-based picking process at the Container Store, the company has realized:
- Higher productivity
- Improved safety
- Reduced errors
- Faster, easier training
Prior to installing the Lucas solution, The Container Store was using RF scanners to pick orders both for store replenishment and direct fulfillment. The scanning and screen based process was driven by their legacy WMS. The process was cumbersome and also raised safety concerns as employees were required to look down at screens and handle scanners in busy warehouse aisles. The principal goals of the new picking system were to improve efficiency and safety for employees, and to drive further improvements in shipping accuracy.
The Lucas Solution
- Lucas mobile work exectuion solution featuring Jennifer voice for store replenishment (case and bulk picking) and direct fulfillment (batch piece picking to cart)
- Lucas Engage Management Services Console for assignment and task management, system configuration, and management reporting
- Motorola MC3000 mobile computers for use with Lucas mobile picking applications
- Lucas solution integrates with legacy WMS and LMS packages, and with a new Manhattan WM system.
Results: Improved DC Productivity
- Improved net warehouse productivity 10-15% within 6 weeks
- Reduced picking set up time
- Reduce new employee training and ramp up time
Results: Enhanced Employee Safety and Satisfaction
- Employees love working with Jennifer
- Reduced safety concerns